Sunday, February 14, 2016

Mt. Taylor Winter Quadrathlon 2016 Race Report

Mt. Taylor Winter Quadrathlon 2016

cycle - run - ski - snowshoe




Introduction
After moving to Albuquerque, NM in 2007, I learned of a unique race that took place on Mount Taylor in the nearby San Mateo Mountains, approximately 1 hour away. Several colleagues participated in this event annually. It consists of cycling, running, skiing and snowshoeing in the middle of winter.  It sounded frightening and ridiculous.

My first time doing the event in 2008, I barely survived it.  I battled with dehydration, overheating and equipment malfunction. This year I participated for my 8th time, and with each year I learn something new.  I have made this event into a personal fitness test and an annual challenge since I moved to New Mexico.

Quadrathlon?
2016 represents the 33rd official running of the Quadrathlon. I have been told that the event may be older than this. Apparently it started unofficially as a local race with a few participants. It has grown to have over 150 soloists and nearly as many 2, 3 or 4 person team individuals. It has been said that the nearly 500 volunteers exceeds the number of participants each year.  This is a big deal for the city of Grants, NM, population 9,200.

The term Quadrathlon is a bit of a misnomer too.  There are four distinct forms of locomotion, but the race has 8 separate legs with 6 distinct transitions. The race is an out-and-back.

During this multisport event, the mountain is climbed and descended in the following order: cycle-run-ski-snowshoe-ski-run-cycle, starting and finishing in downtown Grants. This is more than a technical nuance, since each direction of each leg has its own special challenges and places unique demands on its participants and their gear. Temperatures swing wildly from morning to afternoon, and alpine conditions change with temperature and human traffic.


History and Geography
Mt. Taylor is an 11,305' (3,446 m) dormant volcano approximately 78 miles (126 km) west of Albuquerque NM.  The mountain has a long history of importance to the people of New Mexico. Although named in 1849 after president Zachary Taylor, it has been known as Cebolleta (tender onion) by Spanish settlers, and as TsoodziƂ, or turquoise mountain, by the Navajo.  It represents the southern of four sacred mountains marking the cardinal directions and the boundaries of the Dinetah, the traditional Navajo homeland. 

Mount Taylor and the surrounding area is home to large elk herds, mule deer, black bear, and mountain lion. The region is also very rich in a uranium-vanadium bearing mineral, and has been mined extensively for it, providing over thirteen million tons of uranium ore to the United States since 1945. In April 2009, Mount Taylor was added to the National Trust for Historic Preservation's list of America's Most Endangered Places. Consideration is currently being given to making this area protected Wilderness.

Winter Quadrathlon Description
As listed above, there are four basic forms of locomotion, comprising a total of 72 km (43 miles). The midpoint of the race is at the main peak of Mt. Taylor 11,305' (3,446 m).

The race is always run on the Saturday of President's Day weekend. Weather is variable but typically wintry. The race has been held in snow, rain and in the absence of any snow on the mountain (the entire length was run).  Most years, there's a transition from dry pavement in town, to dirt, to mud, to ice and snow.

Although the race has undergone changes, including promoters and sponsors, its rules and course have remained the same:
  


There has been relative leniency, for example, toward the use of splitboard/snowboards and toward evolution in snowshoes, skis and bicycles.

The course is basically as follows (taken directly from the promoter's site):
  • Racers start with a 13 mile bike ride on a paved road seeing the change from desert cactus to ponderosa pine. The course winds through the streets of Grants and begins the 1800 foot climb.
  • At the end of the paved road, bikes are parked and racers must run the next five miles on gravel roads. The road generally starts out dry but usually runs to snow packed. This part of the course will climb 1200 feet in elevation.
  • Runners then turn to cross-country skis to challenge the next 1200 foot climb of the mountaineering ski course that covers two miles. During the final yards of this course you must face the notorious "HEARTBREAK HILL" that lays waiting for weary racers.
  • The remaining one mile climb on snowshoes gains 600 feet to reach the 11,301 foot summit of MT. TAYLOR where a person can see for over a hundred miles on a clear day.
A soloist checks his gear the night before. Two bags are transported onto the mountain: a bag for the cycle/run transition and a bag for the run/ski transition. Snowshoes are carried by the participant in a backpack to the ski/snowshoe transition.

There is the option to participate as a team. I have not done this, and I have generally dissuaded friends from doing so. I think the experience is best enjoyed as a soloist. The people who do participate in teams seem to have a great time, but they spend a considerable amount of time waiting up on the mountain for their teammates to arrive, and transportation is complicated.

Trying to create organization out of chaos. This was 2013, and I was still overpacking.

Strategies and Packing
Initally, I tried to find the best equipment for each segment.  Skiing, for example, evolved from traditional XC skis, to AT gear, to telemark equipment, to a hybrid setup of telemark boots and waxless-based, wide, back country XC skis. I used to change eyewear from segment to segment and have different shoes for the ascent and descent run. I also wanted to make sure I had enough warm clothing for each segment. This meant hat changes. Ridiculous.



Reviewing my splits showed me how much time I was wasting in transition, and now I focus on simplicity. I accept that at times I will be cold, wet, or muddy. I do not spend time changing socks. In general, I consume nutrition on the run rather than during transitions.  Over time, I have eliminated gear wherever feasible and safe.

Whatever makes me colder makes me faster. Getting ice on my bare legs makes me run harder to stay warm and only hurts a little.

Gear Check on the eve of the Quadrathlon. Everything is labeled by number and placed into either
cycle/run or run/ski transition bags. The gear is shuttled up to the mountain on trucks before racers arrive.
I rely on local reports or a trip up the access road the day before to select shoes,
but I only put one pair in my drop bag.


Gear remains cumbersome. Changing into ski boots is awkward at best, especially when breathless at 10,500' in the snow.

Keeping things dry is worthwhile and is simpler with less stuff.

Ascending during an unusually warm 2014 Quadrathlon. Still, notice the heavily dressed cyclists in the background.


Cycling Ascent - 21 km (13 miles) with 550 m climb (1800 feet)
This is the most self-explanatory portion of the event, and most contestants will use a road bike.  I have used a time trial bike before, but the ergonomics and weight are unfavorable on the climb up, and the handling is suboptimal on the descent. Every year someone rides a mountain bike or recumbent, and this year at least one couple rode a tandem (probably not allowed).

This is a mass-start event with 150 riders of various abilities.  Some of us are bike racers, but most are not, and things get a bit nervous in the first few km. Thankfully, I cannot remember a crash during the start. I try to stay in the front of the group, just like in a criterium.

If there is fresh snow on the morning of the ascent, the promoter will delay start until the road has been cleared. Standard road tires are adequate. Very few icy patches persist in the shadier spots on colder years.

It is tempting to overdress for the start. Temperatures are inevitably below freezing and roads can be icy.  Overdressing, however, can lead to overheating, dehydration and discomfort. Also, cumbersome gear changes at the bike/run transition can result in considerable time loss. I have learned to accept considerable discomfort at the start to have a better overall race. Gloves, cycling shoes and a helmet are a minimum, and I do wear tights that can be easily removed, except in the warmest years.

I have found tri-shorts to be superior to bib-shorts because their chamois is less bulky during the non-cycling portion of the race. I have literally gotten diaper rash from my chamois in the past. Changing into running shorts is feasible, probably frowned upon (public nudity), and awkward. I did it once.

The bicycle is a wonderful vehicle for carrying fluids, and it is easy to hydrate while on the bike.  

Drafting is permitted on the ascent, and there is a largish peleton of riders that forms behind a few leaders. Staying with the peleton can help one conserve energy but is less meaningful toward the steeper part of the climb. I tend to use my power meter to restrict myself to 200 watts average for the climb and start soloing (i.e. let myself get dropped) about 2/3 of the way up.  I have had very fast cycling ascents thwart my run. Nothing is worse than lying prostrate in the mud with cramps and nausea during the run.

One is required to be able to fill or change a flat tire without assistance.  I run tubular tires with Stan's the Solution liquid puncture repair.


Altra Olympus 2.0 trail shoe with Vibram outsole. The grip on these shoes is
phenomenal. The cusion is maximal. The footshaped toebox and lack of a heel drop
are Altra trademarks that don't require me to compromise comfort or
anatomic running form.


Run Up - 8.2 km (5 miles) with 374 meters of climbing (1225 feet)
The run up is deceptive. Altitude gain is insidious. One exits the bike after the steepest part of the climb, short of breath and with tired legs.  The transition is very well organized and there are numerous volunteers helping with gear. Nevertheless, it is easy to get bogged down during the wardrobe change.  Whenever possible I keep it simple. I strip of my tights, remove my helmet, zip off my cycling jersey and change my shoes.  My number is pinned to a technical T-shirt beneath my jersey. This year I grabbed my Ultimate Direction running vest, which was filled with gels, and I started running. 

The run is on a graded dirt road that is frequently muddy and icy. This year I had to choose between maximally comfortable trail shoes, Altra Olympus 2.0 with great traction, and warmer, waterproof Altra Lone Peak 2.0 NeoShells. Because of the warmer weather in 2016, I made the last minute decision to use the Olympus after training all winter in the NeoShell.  Because of its maximum cushioning, I was rewarded with a much more tolerable transition from cycling to running. Traction was outstanding and warmth was tolerable in the Olympus.

Although I train with Kahthoola Microspikes, I have learned that these (and the inferior Yaktrax) are never necessary. Traction with good trail shoes is adequate for this race; the spikes add complexity and at least some weight. Leave the spikes at home and out of the transition bag. 



A bit overdressed but ready for rough weather at the summit.  Although
temperatures can be brutally cold, mostly we have had warmer years in recent times.
These are the Rossignol BC125 back country XC skis
with Garmont ankle-high telemark boots. A compromise
between ease of entry, light weight and control during the descent.
The waxless bases allow me to traverse the saddle without skins. The
skis are very light, but aren't ridiculously expensive like
carbon AT skis.

Ski Up - 2.9 km (1.9 miles) with 371 meters of climbing (1225 feet)
This is where the event becomes unique.  Again, the temptation is to overdress, and the promoters give warnings to participants to be prepared. There is some room in the run/ski transition bag for emergency clothes, but the simpler the transition the better, and fewer layers result in less overheating, bulk and fluid loss. Also, despite the cool eyewear pictured above, I have reverted to using the same eyeglasses that I use for the entire event. Finally, I no longer mess with ski socks.  I can handle the discomfort and cold for the brief period of the ski section in my Injinji quarter crews.

Skins are a must for anyone who is not an Olympic skier.  The winners of the event do tend to use skate skis with small kicker skins, but nearly all of the people around me are using some kind of robust touring gear or telemark skis with full-width skins. The one year I didn't bring them was a disaster.

Snowshoes are in the backpack, and the goal is to have the bag be as light as possible.  I once had the not-so-great idea to fill a hydration bladder with fluid and have it waiting for me during the ski up.  The result was a solid 2 kg block of ice on my back that provided me with no hydration.




Snowshoe Up - 1.6 km (1 mile) with 176 m of climbing (580 feet)
It is possible to run portions of the snowshoe event. For this reason, I opt for the smallest, lightest, legally permissible snowshoes, and I don't bother with poles.  Since they go in my bag, I use the lightest running shoes available: Altra The One.  These shoes weigh less than 200 grams each. They get wet but don't really have enough material to stay soggy. The foot-shaped toebox takes the hotspot away from the straps. I feel happy during the snowshoe portion. Next year I will bolt the One3 directly to my crampons and go strapless.

Although the altitude gain isn't much, it comes all at once in after a spot known as the "Edge of the World."  This final stretch of ascent is steep and lies above 3200 m (10,500 feet) elevation.

Looking down from Heartbreak Hill
Pictures are deceptive. This is an extreme but short grade
at high altitude.

In warm years, including 2016, I have summited while wearing shorts. During the coldest years, I have pulled out a lightweight shell for the descent and worn tights.


Just before reaching Heartbreak Hill there is a fully stocked bar with music. I regretfully skip the bar most years, but the mood is silly and fun, and the volunteers really make this race what it is.  

In 2013 I did the race in tandem with my wife, Sonlee.
Still one of my favorite Quadrathlons.  We took our time
and enjoyed the views.  This is the summit of Mt. Taylor.
Sandia peak is visible in the distance.


Summit 3445 m (11305 feet)
The main summit is reached from the south and exited from the north.  Snow (or lack of it) can re-route the descent. Reaching the summit is a joy, and the view is incredible. It is also a reminder that one is only halfway done.

Marathon runners will have a similar sensation upon reaching the 20 mile mark.  The end is in sight.  This is also deceptive.

Snowshoe Down - 1.6 km (1 mile)
Nothing is more joyous than pitching over the summit into the snowbanks on the north side, running in snowshoes as fast as possible.  On the north face the snow is deep and marked by holes where people have stumbled and fallen.  Nevertheless, it's very hard to get hurt in these conditions, and the overall mood is ecstatic.  



Ski Down - 4.9 km (3 miles)
The ski down should not be underestimated.  The descent begins with removal of climbing skins and progresses in a fairly level fashion along the saddle to the La Mosca Outlook road. This is the north face and is shaded. Temperatures are colder, it is icy, and the snow is often in very bad condition, despite the best attempts of the promoters to groom it. People's best athletic efforts have been crushed by garage-sale crashes on the way down. Almost always, the descent is complicated by having to avoid one or more fallen skiers in the corners.

At the bottom, there is a 500 m section that is slightly uphill, and this can result in significant suffering after 15 minutes of snowplowing down the mountain.  Practicing alpine skiing in tough terrain seems to be the only preparation I can find for not making the ski-down painful.

Don't forget gloves or eyewear!

I've never had the guts to take a photo on the downhill. I am always relieved to have this segment behind me.



2014 Quad run down. Dehydrated, overdressed.

Run Down - 8.2 km (5 miles)
As a runner I always look forward to this section.  I am always humbled.  

Removing ski boots at the brink of exhaustion is hard and can result in cramps.  It's difficult to have a clear head, and the transition back to being a runner is complex for the oxygen-starved brain. It is tempting to rest and eat here, but this is hard time to make up.

The road down starts out muddier and swampier than on the way up.  By now it is close to noon and the ice has melted.  

The Olympus 2.0, or a similarly padded shoe, is a great choice.  I can really go all out downhill, averaging 4:15 min/km at the start and about 5:00 min/km at the finish (7-8 min/mile). In the past I have brought "fresh" shoes for the run down.  This is simply too complicated. 

The road always seems endless and has a surprising amount of uphill that hits when one is most tired and depleted.  In recent years it has been very warm. There are false summits. I swear the road defies laws of physics and gravity. The descent is at least 2-3 times as long as the same ascent.

Eventually the cycle transition comes into view, around a corner and over a hill, and this is truly a joyous time.


Nothing fancy or new, but dependable transportation.
I use tubular tires with Stan's The Solution puncture protection (there's a spare tire in
the saddle bag). Since I no longer race bicycles, I use Tufo tape to secure the tires.
 I do find a power meter helpful, mostly because it
prevents me from being stupid on the climb.


Cycle Down - 21 km (13 miles)
The ride back into town should be a simple pleasure, but often this is the time trial to get the last minutes out of the race, and it can be the hardest effort of the event.

There's always wind, and at times the race has had sustained gusts of 90 kph (50+ mph). These can be harrowing during a 70 kph descent, especially with high-profile carbon rims. For this reason, I leave my TT bike at home. Thankfully, I've never encountered ice on the descent.

There is one significant hill that results in 70 m of gain (230 feet). This would normally be negligible but takes different proportions after 5 hours of effort.  Every year, I see a dismounted rider walking.  The roads coming back into town are rough, but I take them full blast. That said, I only average about 150 watts, given the considerable altitude loss and my drained state.

I try to have a full bottle on the bike for the descent. There's no time for food.

This is a picture from 2008, my first year, riding on a vintage 1980's
steel Basso Gap. Mother nature can have fun during this event.

Party in Grants, NM
Finish is in downtown Grants. It's a pleasant place with lots of room for spectators to sit and blocked off traffic. Trade a timing chip for a medal, beer and possibly a scarf (see below).

Starting about 3-4 years ago, there has been increased sponsorship, including that of Santa Fe Brewing. This has led to a beer tent being established, vendor trucks, and music.  Registration has always included a voucher for a local restaurant; this can now be used to purchase food from vendors as well, and at least one free beer is included.  They don't really seem to follow this rule closely.

The event is unique enough that it draws people from all ages and backgrounds. The after-party is a lot of fun as participants filter in over time.  A lengthy awards ceremony gives prizes to age/gender groups and teams of various configuration. There is no hurry, because gear still needs to get shuttled back from the mountain, and some participants take up to 9 hours.

Progress, Room for Improvement
My first time doing the Quad in 2008 took over 7 hours, and the year I did it with my wife, we took nearly 8 hours.  This year I completed it in 5:27:54, about 9 minutes faster than in 2015.

In general, I have found that less is better when it comes to equipment.  Training need not be specific to any event, but it should be done in the cold, at altitude, and with lots of uphill effort. The more I physically suffer during my training, the more I am prepared for the Quad. This is a great event for ultramarathon runners or dedicated alpinists.

2011 Ski Up
A lot of time can be gained by shortening transitions.  A minute not spent fussing with gear or clothing is a minute that doesn't have to be gained in a run or ride and represents a substantial effort saved.

All of this said, I would encourage anyone to come out and do the race entirely for fun.  My most memorable years have been when I "shared" the race with someone else, taking them through the transitions and offering encouragement during the hardest parts.  The views are outstanding. The volunteers are kind and helpful.  The race is truly a unique experience, and it is easy to forget this when in a hurry.

Doubler: 50K + Quadrathlon
There is a fantastic and hard 50 km race on Mt. Taylor in early October.  Anyone who completes the 50K and the following year's Quad receives a cool football hooligan scarf! Times are combined to yield each year's winners.



The Doubler scarf.


4 comments:

  1. Very good smart summary thank you! Heartbreak Hill is at the end of the ski up. The final summit ascent is known as 'the edge of the world'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good smart summary thank you! Heartbreak Hill is at the end of the ski up. The final summit ascent is known as 'the edge of the world'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for all the data! It was very helpful in getting prep'd for this year's race. Now if only you could help me pedal faster...

    ReplyDelete